With plenty of drinking water inventions on the market these days, some are bound to change our lives. Some are eco-friendly, some are good at doing their jobs and with enough research, some will do both. Our drinking water systems use the best water filtration technology on the market – they do their job and they help prevent water waste which is one common disadvantage of many traditional reverse osmosis water filters.
There are, of course, plenty of other water inventions worth mentioning, too. In honor of World Water Day that takes place each March, an article from Mashable discusses the current status of the world water crisis and some amazing water inventions that are ready to take the crisis head on. The world’s water crisis is still in high gear, requiring brilliant minds to create ways to sustain our resources and improve the quality of drinking water for millions. According to the article, approximately 750 million people around the world still lack access to safe, drinkable water — 90% of whom live in sub-Saharan Africa and Asia, according to the World Health Organization’s latest statistics.
From everyday items to unheard of devices, here are 5 of the most remarkable and amazing inventions improving drinking water quality around the world.
1. WATERisLIFE’s Drinkable Book – it is a two-in-one resource manual filled with safe water tips that comes in a variety of languages and aims at making those not aware of the potential for drinking water contamination that they could be in danger. The best part? It is printed on scientifically advanced filter paper, which kills deadly waterborne diseases. According to creator WATERisLIFE, each book can provide a user with clean water for up to four years. That’s pretty amazing and could change the health and lives of millions of people around the world once they have access to it. Every human being deserves safe drinking water in our humble opinion.
2. LUV Water – developed by students at the Integrated Innovation Institute at Carnegie Mellon University, it is a cheap, self-powered water purification system that uses the weight of water to rotate a motor, powering UV-LED lights. These lights kill 99.9% of waterborne pathogens, and a coarse particle filter helps maintain the device’s efficiency. The creators are also applying the technology to water bottles for a more portable solution.
3. UTEC’s water-generating billboard – this is an advertising campaign and billboard that takes moisture from the humid air around it and converts it into filtered drinking water. The University of Engineering and Technology UTEC in Lima, Peru created this awesome invention in 2013. The billboard can produce up to 26 gallons of clean water per day. More safe drinking water – excellent news!
4. Dean Kamen’s Slingshot – you may know him as the inventor of the Segway or the iBot wheelchair, he has also developed a water purification system with the goal of savings lives around the world. The invention uses a Stirling engine and the Slingshot boils water, creating steam and then compresses it to turn it back into pure, distilled water. The concept mimics the way the sun evaporates rain water. With some systems already being tried in Ghana, Africa, Asia and Latin America also have recipients planned.
5. LifeStraw – this product is perfect for filtering water anywhere. It looks like a thick straw, but it uses advanced hollow fiber technology to filter water, allowing users to simply suck water through it. This is good for people who need to filter their water every day in some countries, or those who find themselves without water in the wilderness and need to drink something that may not be safe.
We of course love our drinking water systems too and think they could be on the list. Worthy of your household, they reduce water waste and positively support the water crisis right here in our back yard. We would love to talk to you more about how to save money and save water.